Yes you read that right!
At first when I learned about this appetizer, I frowned :”I’ve never heard of such a thing!” And when I grew up in Haiti, I’ve never encountered it or even tasted it.
“What in the world is that!?”
String beans fritters! Let’s just experiment with it. Unlike the popular akra fritters recipe, this one contains no eggs. In that case, this is a vegan appetizer.
I love when I can actually get a chance to add vegan recipes on here.
– 1 cups of string beans
– 1 cup of flour
– 1 clove of garlic
– 1 tsp of baking powder
– 1tsp of salt (or at will)
– 2 tbsps of chopped parsley
– 1 tsp of scotch bonnet pepper
– About 2 cups of oil to deep fry
- Soak the string beans for 12 hours in 4 cups of water. (or simply overnight)
- Crush in food processor. (You can use some of the water to allow for an easier crushing. But in that case, strain the water out once done)
- Crush garlic, parsley and salt together. Mix in with the string beans puree.
- Gradually add the flour until you get a dough-y consistency
- Shape your fritters by scooping up small amounts with a spoon
- Deep fry in hot oil.
Don’t you love how simple this was?
Honestly I have to admit, it tasted pretty good!